Neil Primrose had mixed fortunes for the opening weekend of the 750 Motor Club season at Donington Park. Primrose and Phillip Knibb (Lotus Europa) took the flag in the Cartek Roadsports Series, only to be excluded for the use of illegal tyres, a penalty also handed out to the third-placed Exige of Andrew Rath and Andrew Higginbottom. This gave victory to the BMW E46 of Andy Marston and Brett Evans and the Halesowen pair looked set to complete a double in the following day’s two-hour Cartek Club Enduro. They led by a comfortable 45 seconds until retiring at the mid-race pit-stop. Luke Schlewitz inherited the lead in the BMW 135D he was sharing with Neil Primrose. Schlewitz stopped a couple of laps later and Primrose had a 30-second advantage over the Aston Martin of Chris and Mika Brown when the BMW rejoined. This was stretched to a complete lap and it was a delighted Primrose who finally got the victory. Mika Brown came under pressure from the BMW of Rory Brown and Owen Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald briefly snatched second before taking a stop/go penalty for overtaking under a caution flag, but then the Aston suffered a puncture and Fitzgerald regained the place to take second just 3 seconds ahead of the Browns. Fourth overall, and a 2-lap victory in class B, went to the Honda Civic of Derby’s Thomas Halliwell and Swindon’s Dan Ludlow

Christian Pedersen cruised to a 10 second Historic 750 Formula win, in his Austin 7, ahead of  Martin Depper (Centaur Mk 14) and Michael Harvey (JB Special). The Wolverhampton-based Dane said his Austin 7 always goes well around the flowing Donington circuit, not so the tight, twisty tracks such as Cadwell Park.

Clive Hudson and Paul Boyd enjoyed a weekend-long battle in the Sports Specials races. The pair pulled well clear of the field in their Eclipse SM1s. Hudson held a 3-second advantage at the end of race 1 and led the opening laps of race 2, but Boyd was not to be denied a second time. They traded the lead for several laps before Boyd held on to win by 1 second.

Paul Smith (Crossle 9S) completed a double victory in the Bernie’s V8s. Alongside Smith on the front row, Burton-on-Trent’s Mike Johns made a bad start in his Royale, before spinning out, which took the pressure off Smith who had lost fifth gear just 2 laps into the race. Johns made a better start from pole in race 2, but Smith took the lead on the first lap, Johns retired on lap10. The TVR of Tim Davis was the main challenger until he was black-flagged and forced to retire with an oil leak. Kristian White completed a Toyota MR2 double as night began to fall at the end of a great opening meet.